- Because while everyone is worrying so much about Leo with his four nominations and no wins, no one’s starting a meme for Amy Adams with her FIVE nominations and no wins.
- Because Leo’s four nominations equal a significant fraction of the fourteen times black actors and and actresses have actually WON since the inception of the Academy Awards.
- Because it’s insulting as hell to the winners to imply Leo should have won before considering two of those losses were due to black actors taking home Best Actor Oscars. (His first loss was to Tommy Lee Jones in “The Fugitive.” Good luck beating that role.)
- Because when everyone was whining about Leo not getting his fourth nomination for “Django Unchained,” everybody was ignoring the bullshit behind Samuel L. Jackson not getting his second nomination after nineteen years for the same damn movie and an equally great performance.
- Because it’s another year of all-white Best Actress nominees, a category which has had literally only ONE black winner in its entire history.
- Because even Kate freakin’ Winslet didn’t win until her fifth nomination.
- Because the same damn actors being nominated over and over and OVER again for these awards is a problem, not because they deserve more awards, but because it means smaller movies and unknown actors and better-acted roles can get ignored because, you know, Meryl Streep was in another movie this year. (And I adore Meryl Streep, but … yeah.)
- Because it’s like a symbol of what the main problem with the Academy has been for years — that the Academy is a white boys’ club, and the fact that the Internet is so desperately worried that a white man might not win an Oscar that they turned it into a popular fucking meme just encourages the Academy to keep carrying on with their racist, sexist bullshit.
I’ll go buy a hot and ready pepperoni pizza
and then I will go write the entire story that needs to be turned in for workshop tomorrow.
*the only member of the team is me
I thought seeing my previously attained poor grades for the weekly lab reports I hate/ have to do would encourage me to give a single shit about their quality/ not need a House of Cards break for every ten minutes of work.
But—nope. All A’s, apparently. On one hand, cool, on the other hand, I hope my prof is prepared for some seriously lazy formatting in this latest one. Because is he was cool with me not trying before, then wait until I submit him this fresh turd, straight from the lazy turdbaby part of my brain.
Today I did my laundry and my FAFSA, but I also took a hit out of a grapefruit.
So, adulthood: two steps forward, one step back?